Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Week Conference


Kia Ora Mother, and Family and everybody else.

It sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving week. I am thankful for heaps of things but mostly for my family at home who support me in all I am doing.

Alright, to answer the question. The differences between my companion and I is that he is dark skinned and I am not. He is from Africa and I am not. He is hilarious and I am not. Alright, I guess I am sometimes, but ya know. We both work similarly in the work which helps but the differences are there. I can't really describe them though in words.

Anyways, enough of that. This past week we had zone conference on thanksgiving day. We drove to hamilton which again killed all of our K's. I have been on a bike a few days this past week. Anyways, back to the conference. Starting with the meal inbetween sessions, there were little turkeys with Happy Thanksgiving written on it. It was crack up how all the Auzzie's and Islanders asked the Americans how it all worked back home. Some of them wondered why it was even a holiday although when we said that it was another excuse to eat heaps, they accepted it pretty well.

Some spiritual things I learned which there was some yes. The why. "If we give a person a big enough Why, they will do any what or How." Why do I live the gospel. Ok, What do I need to do to change and how do I do it. It sounds great although it is pretty hard to put into practice that is for sure.

Another thing we learned is That "God is our Loving Heavenly Father" is at the beginning for a reason. Ask yourselves, by knowing our true identity, how does it help us to live the gospel. As we help others to understand this, they are able to understand everything else we teach.

Ok, another funny story. We had to get the car serviced that morning in Hamilton, so we left extremely early and arrived at 7:10 am which was 50 minutes earlier than we were supposed to. Then we were supposed to get picked up by the zone leaders, which didn't show. They sent a senior couple missionary to get us who was in a different car than expected. We finally met up with him and arrived at zone conference 30 minutes late. It was ridiculous but alright I guess.

Another thing I learned this week, I was listening to a talk by John Bytheway.
He was talking about the reason people say that efy is the best week of their life. Or a mission is the best two years of their life. He said that there is no tv during those times. No video games. Reading scriptures everyday and being surrounded by the gospel at all times.
The world thinks we need these things, TV and video games, to have fun. I admit that I agreed. The best times are however when we are consumed in developing our own talents instead of watching others developing theirs.

On my mission, I have missed TV and music a lot. However, as I look back at the things I have accomplished without it, I see that it isn't necessary. So a challenge for everyone back home except you mother. You already don't watch tv. But, the challenge is to turn off the tv or video game for an hour and develop one of your talents. Do this everyday for a couple weeks and then look back at what you accomplished. Then try and figure out what you would have if you had watched tv or played video games for that time.

Will You Do This? I can promise that those things we wish we were better at, can be a reality if we turn off the tv and develop them.

I love being a missionary and teaching the people. Everyday, I wish I wasn't a missionary and Every night I am grateful that my wish didn't come true.

I love you all heaps. I can't wait until christmas to talk to you again. Have a wonderful week and I will do the same. Pray for Layla and Seena and everyone else in New Zealand. I know that with those prayers, God will help them come true by guiding us to those prepared.

Arohanui,
Elder Beckstead

No comments:

Post a Comment